Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Local Buzz: Introducing cruncha ma-me!




Note from the Editor: Today, we’re excited to share an interview with the Hong Kong marketing manager for a healthy snack we’ve seen popping up all over Hong Kong: cruncha ma-me! TFT HK co-founder, Katy, had the chance to meet with Emily, who launched cruncha ma-me in Hong Kong. Emily was kind enough to take time out of her busy schedule to tell us more about this snack that packs a nutritional punch, now taking Hong Kong by storm.  Thank you Emily!

Katy: So what is cruncha ma-me?

Emily: As the name suggests, cruncha ma-me is essentially a crunchy edamame snack.  Edamame are young soybeans, often served steamed or boiled in Japanese restaurants.  We wanted to develop a snack that is tasty and packed with nutrients using all-natural whole ingredients.  Edamame was our answer.

Katy:  I have to say, I’m a bit skeptical of snacks touted as both healthy AND delicious.  The two are not mutually exclusive, of course, but it’s a hard balance to achieve!

Emily: Here why don’t you try some and see for yourself!

(Emily handed me the “Lightly Seasoned” flavor soybeans, and I was proven wrong as soon as I popped a few into my mouth.  The first layer of the freeze-dried beans was flaky and flavorful, the inside crunchy; and the whole snack retained the original, nutty edamame flavor.  My assessment: savory and addictive!)


Katy: Ok, so you were right, and they’re terrific. Where do you source and process your beans?

Emily:  We work with a Taiwanese-managed farm in China that exports most of
its beans to Japan and USA. We always ensure that out suppliers adhere to the highest standards!  We use a technique called freeze-drying which is a gentle, low-temperature process that preserves all of the essential nutrients.  We found this method better than either dry-roasting or baking as the high temperatures destroy nutrients.

Katy: What excites you most about cruncha ma-me?

Emily: We’re not just a company committed to providing our customers with high-quality, healthy snacking options.  We are also focused on ethical business practices, environmental sustainability, and holistic plant-based nutrition.  We sincerely hope that our snack can contribute to curbing obesity and poor nutrition in developed places like Hong Kong.

Katy: Where do you sell in Hong Kong and what is your plan to expand cruncha ma-me’s presence in Asia?

Emily: We sell through health stores and fitness establishments like PURE Fitness and PURE Yoga, as well as in cafes like il Bel Paese (here’s the full list of locations in which cruncha ma-me is available). We are continuously looking for channels through which to distribute in Hong Kong, and will look to expand in other cities in Asia such as Singapore.  You will also find our products in Health Addiction’s healthy snack vending machines (which is also a Table For Two HK partner!).

 Cruncha ma-me comes in four delicious varieties: Naked, Lightly Seasoned, Veggie Medley, and Sea Salt & Black Pepper.  The next time you feel like a guiltless, gluten free, vegan, all natural, high protein munchie, consider cruncha ma-me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment